13 July 2007

an ism

Paul went in to work late this morning (yay for us!!), so the kids and I got to enjoy some extra special daddy time. While making breakfast, I overheard a sweet exchange between my husband and daughter as they sat together on the kitchen floor behind me. It went like this...

Paul makes a joke (not funny).

Maya throws her head back in somewhat contrived laughter (she's learning), then sweetly says, ""Dadda, that knocks my head off!"

Paul looks at me perplexed, searching for meaning.

"Oh yeah, that means 'Dad, that cracks me up,'" I explain.

Now all three of us are laughing (Maya has no idea why).

"Are you still keeping that list of isms?" Paul asks.

"Yes," I respond as I catch my breath, eyes watering.

"That one should DEFINITELY be on it," he smiles.


As the skillet sizzles, Cole clamors exuberantly in the distance and Maya proudly beams in her Dadda's lap, the laughter diminishes, the ism is noted and our extra-special morning continues...

No comments: